ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SALAD FOR YOUR SUMMER (OR Any season!) MENU
Cauliflower is one of the most versatile vegetables out there: it can be eaten raw, roasted, sautéed, baked, mashed, or even turned into “rice” or gluten-free pizza crust. Cauliflower can be anything, including an amazing lunch or dinner option, like this roasted cauliflower salad.
CAULIFLOWER, MASTER OF DISGUISE
While it doesn’t have a ton of flavor on its own, cauliflower is exceptionally good at taking on whatever sauce or dish it’s in. In this case, we’ve roasted cauliflower florets for extra flavor, tossed with lentils, carrots, cucumber, and red onion, and covered in a sweet and tangy curry tahini dressing.
Just one serving of cauliflower can provide 77% of the daily value of vitamin C. It also provides vitamins, minerals, fiber, and more. This cruciferous veggie is actually a good source of antioxidants, as well. We love it so much we put it in smoothies, stir fries, pizza crust, and even “toast“.
DRESS IT UP
The dressing is what makes the salad – with spicy curry and garlic, zesty lemon, lightly sweet coconut nectar, and creamy tahini; this dressing hits just about every taste bud in your mouth. It’s the perfect complement to the rest of the salad, which is filling enough that you can easily have this as a meal.
Roasted Cauliflower Salad
1/8 cup tahini
1/8 cup water
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon coconut nectar (or maple syrup, if not cleansing)
1/2 small garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon juice from fresh lemon
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups raw cauliflower florets
1/4 cup cooked lentils (canned or made from scratch)
3 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/8 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon olive oil (for roasting cauliflower)
1. Cut and prep salad ingredients.
2. Assemble dressing ingredients
3. Take the cauliflower florets, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper, and roast at 400F for 25 minutes, turning once. This should yield about 1 and 1/2 cups of roasted cauliflower.
4. For this recipe, we cooked a few servings of lentils at once and then just took 1/4 cup of cooked lentils for the roasted cauliflower salad. We always make extra lentils when cooking, as they can be used throughout the week or simply make this recipe over again!
5. Combine ingredients together.
Add dressing, mix, and enjoy!
Recipe and photography by Ari Scott